Grandpa's Bible
We had been out of town for a couple days and returned late the night before Father's Day when I discovered a box that had been delivered sitting on the front porch and addressed to me. I couldn't remember anything that I had ordered that hadn't arrived, so I checked the return address and found it was from one of my uncles.
Opening the box, I was shocked to find my Grandfather's Bible. It was late and I would be getting up early to prepare for family coming for Sunday lunch, so I didn't do much other than a quick perusal. That afternnon, after we had cleaned up after the meal, I brought it down to share.
What I had noticed the night before was how worn the Bible was, how many pages were actually taped to keep them together.
But that's not surprising. In my grandfather's latter years, he memorized large portions of scripture, includiing entire books of the New Testament. I remember as a teenager hearing him quote the book of Hebrews. In order to memorize those portions, he would have had to spend many hours with his Bible in front of him, turning the pages back and forth to make sure he had learned it accurately. (Although a recording was made of him quoting Hebrews, I have unfortunately, been unable to secure a copy. It seems that they have all been lost. But I can still hear his voice quoting it, with his eyes closed his palms facing one another with his fingertips touching.)
Inside the Bible I discovered a letter written by my grandmother that my uncle must have placed in the Bible for safe keeping. Although portions of it were faded, most was readable. It was a letter reminding her children and grandchildren that the Lord could return anytime and encouraging them to be ready.
As we stood around on Father's Day and looked over the Bible, my oldest son reflected on how his children will not "discover" old letters he has written, since most communication is now done via emails or text messaging. (Who knows what the next few years will bring!)
Looking over his Bible has spurred a number of responses.
First, I desire to write to each of my children and grandchildren periodically so that they will have something in writing from me. And I desire that what I say will challenge them to follow hard (or continue to follow hard) after Jesus. What a joy to read her letter when she indicated it was for grandchildren, even though I was not yet born, it was evident she would have desired to share that same reminder and encouragement to follow Christ with me (As I remember her doing!)
Second, I desire that those who come after me will want to imitate some good character quality that they have seen in my life. I don't know that I will ever be able to memorize large portions of scripture (I struggle these days to learn even small portions!!), but I desire that my love for the Lord and for His word will be evident and encourage them to keep on following the Lord. My own sinfulness is very evident to me, but as I "stumble toward Jesus" (Thank you, Ray Ortlund. I love that expression you shared this morning as you were our guest speaker!!), I pray that it will be a challenge and an encouragement to them to do the same thing. My deepest desire is that I will be reunited after death with each of my children and grandchildren and that their lives will be ones that were spent loving the Lord with all their heart, souls, minds and strength.
![]() |
| Elmer Stoltzfus's well worn Bible |
What I had noticed the night before was how worn the Bible was, how many pages were actually taped to keep them together.
But that's not surprising. In my grandfather's latter years, he memorized large portions of scripture, includiing entire books of the New Testament. I remember as a teenager hearing him quote the book of Hebrews. In order to memorize those portions, he would have had to spend many hours with his Bible in front of him, turning the pages back and forth to make sure he had learned it accurately. (Although a recording was made of him quoting Hebrews, I have unfortunately, been unable to secure a copy. It seems that they have all been lost. But I can still hear his voice quoting it, with his eyes closed his palms facing one another with his fingertips touching.)
Inside the Bible I discovered a letter written by my grandmother that my uncle must have placed in the Bible for safe keeping. Although portions of it were faded, most was readable. It was a letter reminding her children and grandchildren that the Lord could return anytime and encouraging them to be ready.
As we stood around on Father's Day and looked over the Bible, my oldest son reflected on how his children will not "discover" old letters he has written, since most communication is now done via emails or text messaging. (Who knows what the next few years will bring!)
Looking over his Bible has spurred a number of responses.
![]() |
| Plaque which used to hang in the bedroom I stayed in as a child |
Second, I desire that those who come after me will want to imitate some good character quality that they have seen in my life. I don't know that I will ever be able to memorize large portions of scripture (I struggle these days to learn even small portions!!), but I desire that my love for the Lord and for His word will be evident and encourage them to keep on following the Lord. My own sinfulness is very evident to me, but as I "stumble toward Jesus" (Thank you, Ray Ortlund. I love that expression you shared this morning as you were our guest speaker!!), I pray that it will be a challenge and an encouragement to them to do the same thing. My deepest desire is that I will be reunited after death with each of my children and grandchildren and that their lives will be ones that were spent loving the Lord with all their heart, souls, minds and strength.


Comments