Panama ~ Thursday
Bill arrived a bit later on Thursday morning, and then
he wanted to spend some time discussing options on the focus of our work for the remaining days. We left, but thankfully, before we had gotten very far, got a call that Bill need to return to pick up the paychecks for the men working at Casa Providencia. We joined the traffic heading into Panama City, so by the time we met Judy and got turned back around, and got to Casa Providencia, it was almost 11. But it was important for the workers to receive their due.
Susan and I got back to scraping the railings. The men cleaned them off with paint thinner and then primed most of the railings.
Bob and Ty power washed some of the roof tiles. The men also tied rebar in the windows where it had been damaged as they were doing demolition in order to prepare them to be repaired. More chipping was done around window sills and then they used an air compressor to clean off the rails.

They also began moving the materials up to the 2nd floor to do the concrete work that they will begin on Friday on the window sills. I was grateful to know that we would not be mixing concrete by hand. I had helped with that one day on a missions trip to El Salvador and the next day found that I had
muscles aching that I didn't know existed. The men used a pulley system to haul the sand and cement up from ground level.
I am always amazed at the way Bob is able to use teasing and laughter, to build relationships everywhere we go. He managed to learn much, even with his limited Spanish, about this young man, for whom I'm sure he now prays that he will come to a saving knowledge of the One who loves him with an everlasting love.
Susan and I began singing songs that had the word "hand" in it, because of the precious hands that will be using these rails. Our repertoire included; He's got the whole world in His hands, Put your hand in the hand, (We are showing our age, Susan!), Take My Hand, Precious Lord, His Eye is on the Sparrow (It's not about hands, but the lyrics seemed appropriate), and Take My Life (we made up lyrics with the word hand, that aren't in the hymn, but would be appropriate in the orphanage.) One the the joys of any missions trip is the people that minister alongside, whether friends from church or nationals from the country that you are working.
I have known Susan for a number of years (We both
home schooled), but I didn't know her well. When you work side-by-side with someone, especially doing the types of jobs we were doing, you have lots of opportunity to share. I learned that the Lord had used the song Blessings by Laura Story to minister to both of us during times of trial.
Our rides back to the mission house were often quiet, as we rested, reflected on the day, or simply enjoyed the scenery. We did start a "daily" routine of stopping for cold water, sodas, Gatorade & chips at a local "convenience shop" or at the convenience shop associated with a gas station. Some on our team frequently made howler monkey calls when at this station, as we had first heard them calls while getting gas here early in the week. But their names shall remain anonymous.
Dinner that night was at a pizza place near Bill & Judy's house that they would frequently bring friends to. The owners greeted them warmly and served us graciously.
Another full day. It's hard to believe that are week is rapidly coming to an end. Our hearts are full and we are grateful for the opportunity to have been able to come.
![]() |
| Yay!! The rails getting primed |
Susan and I got back to scraping the railings. The men cleaned them off with paint thinner and then primed most of the railings.
![]() |
| Power washing more of the thousands of roof tiles still to be installed |
Bob and Ty power washed some of the roof tiles. The men also tied rebar in the windows where it had been damaged as they were doing demolition in order to prepare them to be repaired. More chipping was done around window sills and then they used an air compressor to clean off the rails.

They also began moving the materials up to the 2nd floor to do the concrete work that they will begin on Friday on the window sills. I was grateful to know that we would not be mixing concrete by hand. I had helped with that one day on a missions trip to El Salvador and the next day found that I had
muscles aching that I didn't know existed. The men used a pulley system to haul the sand and cement up from ground level.
I am always amazed at the way Bob is able to use teasing and laughter, to build relationships everywhere we go. He managed to learn much, even with his limited Spanish, about this young man, for whom I'm sure he now prays that he will come to a saving knowledge of the One who loves him with an everlasting love.
![]() |
| What the rails looked like when we started |
Susan and I began singing songs that had the word "hand" in it, because of the precious hands that will be using these rails. Our repertoire included; He's got the whole world in His hands, Put your hand in the hand, (We are showing our age, Susan!), Take My Hand, Precious Lord, His Eye is on the Sparrow (It's not about hands, but the lyrics seemed appropriate), and Take My Life (we made up lyrics with the word hand, that aren't in the hymn, but would be appropriate in the orphanage.) One the the joys of any missions trip is the people that minister alongside, whether friends from church or nationals from the country that you are working.
I have known Susan for a number of years (We both
![]() |
| What they looked like before the men primed them |
Our rides back to the mission house were often quiet, as we rested, reflected on the day, or simply enjoyed the scenery. We did start a "daily" routine of stopping for cold water, sodas, Gatorade & chips at a local "convenience shop" or at the convenience shop associated with a gas station. Some on our team frequently made howler monkey calls when at this station, as we had first heard them calls while getting gas here early in the week. But their names shall remain anonymous.
![]() |
| Barry's "Half Pizza, Half Calzone" |
Another full day. It's hard to believe that are week is rapidly coming to an end. Our hearts are full and we are grateful for the opportunity to have been able to come.






Comments