Faith?

I never named her, which given the fact that most mechanical things in our family are named, might be a bit surprising.  Our cars, our lawn mower, the trailers, the boat and even some of the trees (which I realize are not mechanical) have names.  Although most likely her lack of a name is more due to the fact that I am not the family member who often names things.  

But even without a name, she has served me faithfully for 32 years.  (She was a replacement for the wedding gift I received from my parents, which was stolen when our home was robbed when our oldest was 6 weeks old.)  I have had her serviced and she has done her part, by not breaking down. 

I was sewing some peepee teepees for an upcoming baby shower and thinking about how many things I have sewn on this machine. Quilts, clothing for me and the boys, bedding for their nursery, 4 large muppet-style puppets, homeschooling costumes, curtains for most every home we have lived in, quilt tops for 7 grandchildren, a number of cushion and pillow covers, along with various household items.  And with only minor issues, she has served faithfully.

As I was sewing, I began to think back to my study earlier in the day, as I was studying I Thessalonians for the Precept Bible study that I attend. I had been meditating on the verse in chapter one, specifically on the commendation for the Thessalonians "work of faith." Like them, we have been created for the purpose of doing good works which God has prepared for us ahead of time.  (Eph 2:8-10).  Our faith is to be demonstrated by our good works.  God has already prepared what He desires for us to do and we are to simply be faithful to that which He has given to us to do.

Just like my sewing machine.  She was created to be a tool by which her owner can sew and create and that she has been and has performed well for 32 years. Maybe I should call her Faith. 

Lord, may I be like my faithful sewing machine and be a faithful tool in your hands to do the good works that you have for me today and each day that you give me to serve you. 

Comments