Intentional
Three years? Really??? In my defense, it's been a busy three years. 4 more grandchildren born (Woo Hoo!), 4 eye surgeries, multiple hospitalizations of my in-laws and a busy teaching and tutoring schedule. But really? You would think I would have time to write at least one post.....
Intentional. My one word for this year.
If you spend any time reading blogs, I'm sure you have read one or more who have shared their word for this year with you. I first read the book, My One Word, a few years ago and felt that the concept had merit. In the past, I have found that having too many goals often left me feeling overwhelmed at my inability to follow through on my desires. However, if I narrow my focus, it is easier to keep my focus where it needs to be.
Not that it limits the areas that it impacts. Not at all. I simply want to be intentional in spending time in the Word, prayer and meditation. Intentional in how I spend my time and money. Intentional in building new and cultivating old relationships. Intentional in how I care for my physical body and fulfill my roles as wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, teacher and friend.
I had already chosen the word when I read a blog post sharing the impact on a writer after reading the book, Pursue the Intentional Life, written by Jean Fleming, a woman who had mentored me through her books when I was a young mom, especially her book A Mother's Heart.
I immediately downloaded the book. One chapter into the book and I knew it was going to be a pivotal book for this season in my life. Sharing with some friends at church about the book, resulted in a small group of us reading and sharing how the book is impacting our lives. We meet and discuss the five sentences that had the most impact as we read through a specific portion of the book.
Although the major thrust of the book, so far, as been on focusing on who I am becoming and the desire to live an examined life. ("These patterns of thought and practice will either serve the glory and purposes of God or hinder them"). The sentence that has prompted me back into blogging states, "Revelations are graces from God not to be taken lightly." When she says revelations, she is referring to those things that the Lord teaches us through our experiences, our trials and His Word. What is He teaching me through this period of life? How can I learn from this?
I have long felt impressed with the need to record for my children and my grandchildren the things that the Lord has done both in my own life, as well as His blessings seen through previous generations. I don't know how many days I have remaining, but I truly want to dwell on His blessings. I need to remember, lest I forget.
I am not entirely sure what "final form" this will take. Photo album with significant portions of text? Most likely. Easily reproducible? If I want one to pass down to each grandchild, it will have to be! But as I found when we lived in Switzerland, and I began blogging, I need some place to corral my thoughts and save them for such a time when I can compile them into a final format.
The posts, Lord willing, will be more frequent than every few years.
And so, I pray with Jean,
Intentional. My one word for this year.
If you spend any time reading blogs, I'm sure you have read one or more who have shared their word for this year with you. I first read the book, My One Word, a few years ago and felt that the concept had merit. In the past, I have found that having too many goals often left me feeling overwhelmed at my inability to follow through on my desires. However, if I narrow my focus, it is easier to keep my focus where it needs to be.
Not that it limits the areas that it impacts. Not at all. I simply want to be intentional in spending time in the Word, prayer and meditation. Intentional in how I spend my time and money. Intentional in building new and cultivating old relationships. Intentional in how I care for my physical body and fulfill my roles as wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, teacher and friend.
I had already chosen the word when I read a blog post sharing the impact on a writer after reading the book, Pursue the Intentional Life, written by Jean Fleming, a woman who had mentored me through her books when I was a young mom, especially her book A Mother's Heart.
I immediately downloaded the book. One chapter into the book and I knew it was going to be a pivotal book for this season in my life. Sharing with some friends at church about the book, resulted in a small group of us reading and sharing how the book is impacting our lives. We meet and discuss the five sentences that had the most impact as we read through a specific portion of the book.
Although the major thrust of the book, so far, as been on focusing on who I am becoming and the desire to live an examined life. ("These patterns of thought and practice will either serve the glory and purposes of God or hinder them"). The sentence that has prompted me back into blogging states, "Revelations are graces from God not to be taken lightly." When she says revelations, she is referring to those things that the Lord teaches us through our experiences, our trials and His Word. What is He teaching me through this period of life? How can I learn from this?
I have long felt impressed with the need to record for my children and my grandchildren the things that the Lord has done both in my own life, as well as His blessings seen through previous generations. I don't know how many days I have remaining, but I truly want to dwell on His blessings. I need to remember, lest I forget.
I am not entirely sure what "final form" this will take. Photo album with significant portions of text? Most likely. Easily reproducible? If I want one to pass down to each grandchild, it will have to be! But as I found when we lived in Switzerland, and I began blogging, I need some place to corral my thoughts and save them for such a time when I can compile them into a final format.
The posts, Lord willing, will be more frequent than every few years.
And so, I pray with Jean,
"Sovereign God, holy and good, righteous and gracious...meet with me in my attempt to capture something of what You show me. By Your grace and mercy, given me a repenting and pliable heart and mind. Teach me. Refine me. Renew Me."May I live an examined life.
Comments