Love Equals Roses?
If you were in the stores last week or watched TV, you might think that love equals roses, heart-shaped diamond jewelry, perfume, chocolate, a sentimental card or maybe personalized Teddy Bears. All those things can be expressions of love; I love to receive any of those. Well, not the Teddy Bear, but any of the others are enjoyed.
However, I think love could be better represented by a clock. Love often shows by our investment of time. When we love someone or something we want to spend time with them. We want to spend time with family and friends that we love. If we love to exercise, there is always time in the day to fit it in. If we love to cook, we will frequently be in the kitchen. If we love hockey, we will be at the rink. If we love to play the piano, we will be at the keyboard when we have free time. A love of reading will often result in finding us with a book.
Love equals time.
We have a new family member to love this month and time is definitely high on his priority list of what he wants, as well as of high importance to us. We just want to spend time with him. Our children accuse us of no longer being interested in them, just our grandchildren. Not at all true, but a new little one seems to become the focus of much attention and time.
I think most first-time parents are shocked by the amount of time one tiny person requires.

Just feeding this little one takes so long. They may only eat every three to four hours, but you have to factor in time to get them situated and ready to feed, the actual feeding time, time to change the diaper, and maybe time to change the entire outfit and the changing pad. There might even be the need to change all the bedding from the crib when you get them up. You may have to change your clothing during or after the feeding. Then there is the time to talk to them and enjoy them while they are awake. If they are fussy, you might have to take the time to settle them down before they go back to sleep so you can start the laundry from all the clothing and bedding that was soiled just from one feeding. By that point it's only an hour or so before you start the entire process again!

Time. With a baby, it is around the clock. Time, or times in those early morning hours when you are tired. Baby isn't concerned with your tiredness or your need for rest, they simply know they need you.

How I have enjoyed those times! I have enjoyed being able to be a part of those early morning feedings and have been disappointed when I slept through them! (Sorry for the ones I missed, Jenn!!) Time to hold, time to change dirty diapers, (hopefully catching any possible urinary spray with a pee pee teepee!), time to get meals prepared, dirty laundry washed, the house cleaned, baby soothed so they can go back to bed, and of course, time to take digital pictures.
With Micah's arrival so near to Valentine's Day, I have thought frequently on the ways that we show our love, not only to one another, but also to the Lord.
I remember realizing in a newer, deeper way God's love for me when Joel was born. I suddenly understood a parent's love for his child. How can you give up one to die for whom you have such profound love? God's Word describes Jesus as the Son of God, although not in the same way Joel is my son, and yet God uses our understanding of parent-child love to describe His love for us.
If you asked me, I would say that I love the Lord. But how does my time show that? It's more than just attending church on Sundays. It's more than just being involved in some form of ministry, although both of these will be a part of one's life who loves Him. But, do I desire spending alone, one-on-one time with Him? Do I desire His Word like a newborn desires milk? (Intensely. Eagerly. Frequently. Regularly.) Do I willingly give up other things in order to spend time with Him? When something good happens, is it my natural response to want to praise Him? When something worries me, or saddens me, or scares me, is He the first one with whom I share my concerns?
Lord may my love for you show in my time.
I think most first-time parents are shocked by the amount of time one tiny person requires.
Just feeding this little one takes so long. They may only eat every three to four hours, but you have to factor in time to get them situated and ready to feed, the actual feeding time, time to change the diaper, and maybe time to change the entire outfit and the changing pad. There might even be the need to change all the bedding from the crib when you get them up. You may have to change your clothing during or after the feeding. Then there is the time to talk to them and enjoy them while they are awake. If they are fussy, you might have to take the time to settle them down before they go back to sleep so you can start the laundry from all the clothing and bedding that was soiled just from one feeding. By that point it's only an hour or so before you start the entire process again!
Time. With a baby, it is around the clock. Time, or times in those early morning hours when you are tired. Baby isn't concerned with your tiredness or your need for rest, they simply know they need you.
How I have enjoyed those times! I have enjoyed being able to be a part of those early morning feedings and have been disappointed when I slept through them! (Sorry for the ones I missed, Jenn!!) Time to hold, time to change dirty diapers, (hopefully catching any possible urinary spray with a pee pee teepee!), time to get meals prepared, dirty laundry washed, the house cleaned, baby soothed so they can go back to bed, and of course, time to take digital pictures.
With Micah's arrival so near to Valentine's Day, I have thought frequently on the ways that we show our love, not only to one another, but also to the Lord.
I remember realizing in a newer, deeper way God's love for me when Joel was born. I suddenly understood a parent's love for his child. How can you give up one to die for whom you have such profound love? God's Word describes Jesus as the Son of God, although not in the same way Joel is my son, and yet God uses our understanding of parent-child love to describe His love for us.
If you asked me, I would say that I love the Lord. But how does my time show that? It's more than just attending church on Sundays. It's more than just being involved in some form of ministry, although both of these will be a part of one's life who loves Him. But, do I desire spending alone, one-on-one time with Him? Do I desire His Word like a newborn desires milk? (Intensely. Eagerly. Frequently. Regularly.) Do I willingly give up other things in order to spend time with Him? When something good happens, is it my natural response to want to praise Him? When something worries me, or saddens me, or scares me, is He the first one with whom I share my concerns?
Lord may my love for you show in my time.

Comments