One of the blogs which I try to read on a daily basis is WorldMag.com. Living in the states, we have subscribed to World Magazine for quite some time. I don't always agree with everything they write, but I have greatly appreciated their Christian worldview commentary on current events. We began reading the magazine after reading their weekly kids magazine "God's World News" written for differing age levels. It became a weekly part of our school reading program.
But eventually the boys graduated to the adult magazine and we subscribed to the weekly magazine for many years. I have often found myself challenged by Andree Seu's writing. A quote from one of her recent posts has continued to challenge me.

"All the real action in the Christian life takes place on the cellular level of this moment’s obedience to this moment’s call."
Andrée Seu
, July 24
Do you ever struggle with immediate disobedience? Boy, I do. I wish I could say after many years of being a Christian that I am obedient, immediately. But I am not always.
When we were homeschooling, our schooling used character qualities as the focal point for each subject matter. We studied qualities like inquisitiveness, kindness, courage, wisdom, stewardship, attentiveness and of course, obedience. So when we were studying about patience, we studying things like plant growth & gardening, grain, bread & yeast, human birth & grown, animal birth & growth and learning to wait. And at the beginning of each study we learned a definition.
Obedience: doing what you're told, when you are told and with the right attitude. Ouch. That's what Andree is saying, isn't she? When the Holy Spirit prompts, my response should immediately be "Yes, Lord." And then to do it and make sure my attitude is correct.
It seems, at least initially, much easier to say "Yes, but..." and try to explain to the Lord why it either shouldn't be done or at least not now. The Holy Spirit is faithful to point out my sin or necessary response to sin, not because He is mean or just likes to point His finger, but He realizes the negative consequences that sin has in my life. My sin is not going to affect my eternal destination, my debt has been paid in full by the blood of Christ, but it can impact my relationships with my family and friends. It can impact my effectiveness in ministry to others. It can delay my maturity.
He is also faithful to bring others into my life for whom my sharing of the gospel or ministering in some way can have a tremendous positive impact on their lives. I can say yes to those opportunities or walk away.
Why do I so often forget that I am the Lord's servant? A servant doesn't tell the master where they will live or what they will do. The immediate response should be, "Yes, Lord." Immediately and with the right attitude. By God's grace alone.
Thank you, Lord that you not only communicate how you desire that I live, day-by-day and step-by-step, but you provide the strength to obey. Today may I obey.
But eventually the boys graduated to the adult magazine and we subscribed to the weekly magazine for many years. I have often found myself challenged by Andree Seu's writing. A quote from one of her recent posts has continued to challenge me.
"All the real action in the Christian life takes place on the cellular level of this moment’s obedience to this moment’s call."
Andrée Seu
Do you ever struggle with immediate disobedience? Boy, I do. I wish I could say after many years of being a Christian that I am obedient, immediately. But I am not always.
When we were homeschooling, our schooling used character qualities as the focal point for each subject matter. We studied qualities like inquisitiveness, kindness, courage, wisdom, stewardship, attentiveness and of course, obedience. So when we were studying about patience, we studying things like plant growth & gardening, grain, bread & yeast, human birth & grown, animal birth & growth and learning to wait. And at the beginning of each study we learned a definition.
Obedience: doing what you're told, when you are told and with the right attitude. Ouch. That's what Andree is saying, isn't she? When the Holy Spirit prompts, my response should immediately be "Yes, Lord." And then to do it and make sure my attitude is correct.
It seems, at least initially, much easier to say "Yes, but..." and try to explain to the Lord why it either shouldn't be done or at least not now. The Holy Spirit is faithful to point out my sin or necessary response to sin, not because He is mean or just likes to point His finger, but He realizes the negative consequences that sin has in my life. My sin is not going to affect my eternal destination, my debt has been paid in full by the blood of Christ, but it can impact my relationships with my family and friends. It can impact my effectiveness in ministry to others. It can delay my maturity.
He is also faithful to bring others into my life for whom my sharing of the gospel or ministering in some way can have a tremendous positive impact on their lives. I can say yes to those opportunities or walk away.
Why do I so often forget that I am the Lord's servant? A servant doesn't tell the master where they will live or what they will do. The immediate response should be, "Yes, Lord." Immediately and with the right attitude. By God's grace alone.
Thank you, Lord that you not only communicate how you desire that I live, day-by-day and step-by-step, but you provide the strength to obey. Today may I obey.
Comments