Brunch. More cultural lessons learned

Since February of 2008, I have been able to attend a wonderful local Precept Bible study group. We are women from many different cultures. Some permanently in Switzerland, some like me, who are here for a short time. The common denominator is that we all speak English, although English is not the first language for many.

We recently were able to honor a very special woman who is a part of the group. This gracious woman opened her home for 5 years for Bible study until the group finally completely outgrew her large dining room table.

At her home it was not just, "Come on in," but "Come on in. Enjoy some fresh bread. Would you like some coffee or tea? Are you comfortable?" Her hospitality was like Lydia mentioned in scripture. It was a hospitality that prevailed upon you.

The first time I met this woman, she learned I would be attending not just the Wednesday study, but the Friday study as well. And that particular day they were having a luncheon after the Wednesday study for the ladies in the Friday study to honor one who was leaving. Her immediate response was, "Please come join us. It would be such a good way for you to begin to know others in the group." When I indicated that I did not have a contribution to bring, she immediately prevailed on me to come anyway. There would be plenty. What a gracious, hospitable woman.

Our brunch was a wonderful time with a wonderful group of women. But I learned a few more cultural lessons along the way.

I should not assume that other cultures understand the word "brunch." I (along with other Americans who had lived in Switzerland for a long time) did not realize that many are not familiar with the concept of brunch. Initially our gathering was to be a luncheon, but for various reasons was moved up to brunch to be able to accommodate the ladies better. However, not all were familiar with the term. One was upset that we were no longer eating a meal together, just a snack. Others were very confused over types of foods to bring. What had started out to be something simple was increased in difficulty due to culture differences or possibly just language.

Responses from the women regarding what each woman would like to bring also provided me with a window into Swiss culture! It was after the third Swiss woman told me "not to worry, if there is any left, my family will eat it as leftovers" that I began to realize that is Swiss typical thought. I have never been to a brunch where people are concerned that there might be leftovers.

Maybe American are more willing to put different combinations together for their families. Or maybe because American families are more frequently eating at different times, that we don't worry about there being some left, they can always use a bit of something for one person. Or maybe due to the high price of food and thrifty mindset, there is a fear of wasting food. Or maybe it's that Swiss don't eat leftovers!

It never ceases to amaze me how, although we are each unique individuals, certain cultural tendencies are prevalent. All Swiss do not think the same, any more than all Americans agree or think alike. (Just hold an election in either country and that becomes very evident!) However, you do see certain things that are highly valued in a culture. This was yet another opportunity to get an insight into Swiss culture.

But I think more than even the cultural lessons learned, my heart and life has been touched by the individuals with whom I have been able to spend time with. As I rub elbows, so to speak, with Guen Soo, I hope to emulate her hospitality. As I see Griselda's love for those whom the world scorns, I desire to allow my heart be as my Lord's. Cultural lessons learned? Absolutely.
But Lord, may I learn your heart above all. May my life value what you value.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a flimsie!!

Slow and steady...

What's on my design wall, sort of