Alea

Considering the fact that I mentioned Alea's birth in a recent post, I think it's time I include an update.

Alea (pronounced A-Lay-A) was born on February 21st and is as cute as can be. Her mom and I met quite soon after we both moved to Switzerland, first in church and then later in the same BSF small group. It seemed clear from very early on that it was the Lord that brought us together. Our friendship developed quite quickly and we have enjoyed many long walks in the beautiful Swiss countryside together. I will never forget our walk when Kasey indicated that she thought she was pregnant. There had been a positive "early pregnancy" test result, but it almost seemed to early to rejoice. It's been so fun to walk alongside as Kasey has grown!

It was very special to meet Alea when she was a day old and visit in the hospital. It's too bad that you can't see the view out the window. It is a breathtaking view of Zurichsee (Lake Zurich) and on a clear day, of the mountains beyond. Not a bad way to start life.

Giving birth in Switzerland is quite different than in the US. They provide care "long-term" for the mom and baby. Your state-required insurance covers 5 days in the hospital as well as 5 visits from a midwife after you come home and 3 from a lactation specialist. Wow. A blessing if your family is nearby, but even more if family is an ocean and half a continent away.

They also are very much into herbal approaches. There is a tea for everything that would ail mom or baby. A tea to drink to help get your contractions started. A tea to help with post-labor contractions. A tea to drink to encourage milk production. A tea to help slow it down. A tea to soothe a baby's tummy. Who knows, they probably have a tea to suggest if you are endeavoring to get pregnant. My dad would have gotten a kick out of all the tea suggestions. Although, he only wanted "plain old tea."

But I can't be around a little one and again not marvel at our awesome Creator. Little Alea is another evidence of God's handiwork.

"For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!"
Psalm 139:13-17

How precious, indeed. May we praise Him.

Comments

Kasey said…
What a sweet post, Pam. We are so thankful for you!!!

Popular posts from this blog

It's a flimsie!!

Pink ..

What's on my design wall.