Today's quote....
I recognized an old friend yesterday while on facebook. Well, actually the "little brother" of my best friend when I was in elementary school. I don't know if you are on facebook, but when I "make" a new friend, I love to read their Info tab where they list their interests, activities, favorite books, TV shows and movies as well as favorite quotes. And one of Larry's quotes made me laugh, out loud.
"The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell." - St Augustine
The fact that Larry included this in his favorite quotes gives me a clue as to why Larry is a high school history teacher and not a high school mathematics teacher. Seems like most people either love mathematics or hate it. Not many people are ambivalent. When people learn that I taught high school mathematics in the states the response is often comical. They often look at me like I am an alien from another planet or treat me like I'm a very strange being. I don't know if they haven't meet someone who likes mathematics before or just not a woman who likes math.
We are each truly unique, are we not? Each of us created with our own interests, our own likes and dislikes, our own talents, our own desires , even our own unique fingerprints. I have had the opportunity to go shopping with two different friends recently. It was fun to watch how each one gravitated toward things that were in colors they like. One to red things. One to green things. (Me? Anything in the pink, purple, blue range.)
Knit together in our mother's womb.
Chosen before the foundations of the earth.
Ones whom God has created for good works, which God has prepared beforehand for us.
Whether we love or hate mathematics, we are truly "fearfully and wonderfully made."
May we praise Him.
We are each truly unique, are we not? Each of us created with our own interests, our own likes and dislikes, our own talents, our own desires , even our own unique fingerprints. I have had the opportunity to go shopping with two different friends recently. It was fun to watch how each one gravitated toward things that were in colors they like. One to red things. One to green things. (Me? Anything in the pink, purple, blue range.)
Knit together in our mother's womb.
Chosen before the foundations of the earth.
Ones whom God has created for good works, which God has prepared beforehand for us.
Whether we love or hate mathematics, we are truly "fearfully and wonderfully made."
May we praise Him.
Comments