Fussball Brot

I'm hoping that local bakeries are still making Fussball Brot ("Football bread") when Joel, Steven and Jenn arrive, but if not, I have proof that they at least sometimes bake loafs of bread in the shape of soccer balls! I'm wondering if this is something they are making just because the European Football Championships are being hosted in Switzerland (and Austria) or if this is a bread that shows up every time there is a championship. A good question for Manuela, but since she's not a football fan, I may need to check with someone else.

Now, this is definitely something that the Swiss and the rest of Europe has right. Why do we in the states call a game played primarily with the ball being carried in players' hands "football?" Doesn't it make more sense to call a game where the ball is moved primarily by players' kicking it, "football??" Yet another difference between Switzerland and the states. A minor difference, but another difference. All those scriptures about being a "foreigner and an alien" have come alive in a way I never imagined.

"Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called " Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands - remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. AND HE CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO ALL WHO WERE FAR AWAY, AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR; for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household..." (Italics mine)

For the past 9 months I have been a "foreigner and an alien," and it is something that you are frequently reminded of. I daily sense that I'm only here as a visitor. I don't speak the same language, I don't know all the "unspoken" rules of social interaction, I don't even live in "my" home with my "own" things other than my clothes and a few personal items. I don't even always know how to dispose of certain types of trash. (When all else fails, take it back to the states and throw it away in Joel's trash. ;-)!!) I am experiencing what it means to live where you are not a citizen. I'm not free to come and go as I please. They want to see my passport and know why I am traveling and where. We had to register where we live, when we were married, where Bob works, and how we will pay for any medical issues that arise!

What a beautiful word picture to compare with my relationship to Christ after I accepted his great gift of being made a citizen; I am no longer a stranger and an alien. I am no longer separated from Him. I now speak the same language. I now belong. He is my home. What a wonderful gift. Even more blessed than being a citizen of any country in which we might reside. Next time I go to buy or eat some Fussball brot, I'll think of His great gift to me. Thank you, Jesus for making me part of your great kingdom. Thank you that I am no longer a stranger nor an alien.


Posted by Picasa

Popular posts from this blog

It's a flimsie!!

Slow and steady...

What's on my design wall, sort of