Visiting London
We left Zürich Friday morning, arriving at Heathrow late morning. Bob had given me a map for the "Tube," and shown me on a map where the hotel was located. The tube (underground) is very easy to navigate and I had no difficulty getting to the hotel, checking in and then finding the British Museum. (Having ticket machines and signs in English helped greatly!)
The main things that I desired to see at the British Museum were the Rosetta stone, The Royal Standard of Ur, the Sutton Hoo exhibit as well as their extensive Egyptian cultures collection. All those years homeschooling with KONOS has given me a desire to visit many museums and historical sites worldwide!! What I didn't realize was that, other than for special exhibits, the museum is free! Nice plus.
I also didn't realize that the current special exhibit was China's Terracotta Army. Oh! How I would have loved to view this, but I learned upon entering the museum that tickets were completely sold out for that day and unless I was willing to be "in queue" by 5 a.m. the next day, I wouldn't have a chance at getting a ticket. In other words, no chance. ;-) Maybe the exhibit will come to Zürich, or Washington, DC.
Although Bob has been to London numerous times, he has never been as a tourist. So Saturday we headed out to see those places he had missed. We began by heading over toward Westminister Abbey. As you come up out of the tube station, there is Big Ben in all his glory. It was an overcast day (It's England, what can you expect??), but he still is a wonderful sight to behold. Unfortunately, Westminister Abbey, which is scheduled to be open on Saturdays was closed that day. No explanation, just "closed." Guess I'm going to have to make another trip! ;-)
We headed over to Buckingham Palace to see the "Change the Guard." Good thing Westminister Abbey was closed or we would not have gotten the great viewing spot that we found. Although not by the main gates, we were located right next to one of the gates and learned that a small contingency of guards would be going through. Also got a chance to use my Spanish as a couple asked if we knew any Spanish? Si! And we were able to tell them that the changing of the guard would take place at "once y media."
As we stood by the gate, we began to hear what sounded like a marching band. I didn't expect this! Down the Mall, is a Guards band. I did not recognize any music that they played other than Amazing Grace, which they played once inside
Usually the Queen's Guard consists of Foot Guards in what we assume is the normal guard attire, red tunics and bearskin caps. However, I read afterwards that if they have commitments, other infantry units take part instead. And they must have had other commitments today. The Guards band was in the bearskin caps, but not the men coming off of duty nor the new guard replacing them.
The photos on the slideshow below, show the other places we visited over the weekend, including the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Wesley Chapel, St. Paul's Cathedral, Trafalgar Square (no photo), Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park and St. James Park.