Being far from home
We felt this especially when we received notice while in Samnaun that Dad Stoltzfus had another episode and was headed to the hospital. His myelofibrosis had advanced to such a point that he just is too weak to live on his own and Mama Miriam had reached the point of being unable to care for his needs. I had been researching alternate housing options for them, but the sudden change necessitated a greater level of care than we were anticipating at this point.
But we are GREATLY BLESSED to have wonderful family who have stepped in, Dad's brother Leonard opened his home and offered his loving care along with hospice assistance. Aunt Rhoda came along side to help as well. And Glenn and Daniel have been there to make decisions and care for the myriad of details that come with a change like this. It reminded me of a discussion that I had had with Manuela. We were discussing "family words," and I mentioned the difference between immediate family and extended family. That was a foreign concept to her. There is just one word, at least to Swiss thinking, and that's family. How grateful I am for family that steps in to care, Swiss-like.