Wanderwege
Or "hiking paths" for the non-German reader! These sign postings are everywhere in Switzerland. Miles and miles of them. We even have one at each end of our street, as it is part of a wanderweg (singular, the "e" at the end here makes this word plural. That's your German lesson for today!) This allows me to walk two hours most days and as of yet, never hike along entirely the same route. I just follow the signs to a different town! The white portion indicates the elevation of where you are, the markers tell you approximately how long it should take you to hike to the indicated location and also lets you know if there is a train or a bus stop, or parking lot there. Some of them indicate if you can find a restaurant. (Much needed if there is not water available along the route.) I had learned the word wanderweg even before we moved (wander - hiker, weg - trail or path) as we had hiked while checking out the area before our move. As we hiked this trail we came along the word "fussweg" and I commented to Bob, "Well, weg is path, I wonder what fuss is?" Before it was was out of my mouth, I remembered, fuss means foot. After all, my maiden name, Stoltzfus means "proud foot." So a fussweg is a footpath!