Library Card
I met today for the first time with Manuela. She is my German tutor in exchange for my helping her with improving her English. Manuela is around Joel and Steven's age and cuts my hair. She asked last week if I would be willing to tutor her. What an answer to prayer! I had been praying for someone with whom to "swap" tutoring, but didn't know how I would find someone. But God knew!
Anyway, as we met and chatted, she suggested that we go to a bookstore and look for a book for each of us. I had misunderstood her and thought she meant a library. We went and looked in the bookstore and found an appropriate book, and on trying to find the price, it appeared that it was available for "checkout." In asking, Manuela learned that it was only for sale, but that there was a library just down the street and the gal gave us the address. So off we went. Manuela had indicated that she didn't really enjoy reading, so I wasn't surprised that she didn't remember there was a library. We found the same book and in the process of opening a library "account" (not free, but only CHF 50 for a years membership, or about $40. Not bad considering even a paperback on clearance is around CHF 8), it was obvious that I don't speak much German and so the librarian took the time to show me where the two shelves of English books were located. There appears to be a number of "classics," although most are recent "best sellers." I think I'll be back!
So, did you want to know what German book I checked out? It's Bildwörterbuch für Kinder, (Picture Dictionary for Children!) linked here. We all have to start somewhere. ;-) I'm always telling my students that we remember things better with color and pictures. Got both. Now I'm all set!
Anyway, as we met and chatted, she suggested that we go to a bookstore and look for a book for each of us. I had misunderstood her and thought she meant a library. We went and looked in the bookstore and found an appropriate book, and on trying to find the price, it appeared that it was available for "checkout." In asking, Manuela learned that it was only for sale, but that there was a library just down the street and the gal gave us the address. So off we went. Manuela had indicated that she didn't really enjoy reading, so I wasn't surprised that she didn't remember there was a library. We found the same book and in the process of opening a library "account" (not free, but only CHF 50 for a years membership, or about $40. Not bad considering even a paperback on clearance is around CHF 8), it was obvious that I don't speak much German and so the librarian took the time to show me where the two shelves of English books were located. There appears to be a number of "classics," although most are recent "best sellers." I think I'll be back!
So, did you want to know what German book I checked out? It's Bildwörterbuch für Kinder, (Picture Dictionary for Children!) linked here. We all have to start somewhere. ;-) I'm always telling my students that we remember things better with color and pictures. Got both. Now I'm all set!